Hi Alf,

I forgot to ask...what happens when a continuation is no longer valid and the user clicks on a link that would activate a continuation? Does the element simply begin execution at the beginning of processElement()?

Exactly.

If so, is there a way for the element to know that it's starting over from an invalid continuation?

No that is not explicitly supported, but you can check if a continuationid was provided and the manager doesn't know about it.

I did set up not to clone continuations for paging, since paging isn't really sensitive to context: just

Just a remark, it clones by default, you have to set it to not clone.

give me the new offset, though I suppose cloning continuations would let the user page through multiple result sets...I really did it because I was tired of chasing down the CloneNotSupportedExceptions, but maybe that's a worthy pursuit after all.

The easiest way to circumvent those is to put that functionality in another method that will not be instrumented, and thus not provide any continuation state.

Hope this helps,

Geert

Thanks,

-Alf

On 6/3/06, Geert Bevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Hi Alf,

it's a good question!

RIFE has a WeakHashMap with the continuation ids and their
references, continuations also have a default timeout of 20 minutes,
after which they will become illegible for purging, which happens by
default 1 out of 50 requests (this is of course configurable).
Besides that you, can also setup each element to not clone
continuations if you don't need that behavior, and last, when a user
finished a flow, you can remove the entire active continuation tree
and thus all related state

Hope this helps,

Geert

Geert Bevin