Hi Stepan,

Thanks for the notification :)

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 04:18:47PM -0400, Stepan Salenikovich wrote:
> Hi,
> This was a repeatedly requested feature and it made sense so we finally merged
> a patch to add systray icon support to gnome-ring.
>
> I'll copy paste my commit message which explains the implementation since it
> is of interest to package maintainers or anyone compiling from source:
>
>     This adds an icon in the notification areas (systray) by default.
>     The icon also has a popup menu which allows the user to show or hide
>     the main widow and to quit Ring.
>
>     It uses 2 systray icon implementations:
>     - AppIndicator from Canonical
>     - GtkStatusIcon from Gtk, but deprecated

After some investigation, it turns out that AppIndicator is a pain to
support on Archlinux (it's not in the official repositories [1], and
brings a lot of dependencies).  I wonder if the situation is similar for
other non-Ubuntu distros.

On the other hand, GtkStatusIcon is provided by default with GTK3,
although it indeed seems deprecated (gtk/deprecated/gtkstatusicon.h).

Is there any alternative to these two implementations?  The documentation
on GtkStatusIcon [2] is a bit vague:

    GtkStatusIcon has been deprecated in 3.14. You should consider using
    notifications or more modern platform-specific APIs instead. GLib
    provides the GNotification API which works well with GtkApplication.

Baptiste

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/libappindicator/
[2] https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkStatusIcon.html