On 2015/07/29 15:13 , Yang Yu wrote:
 > Looking through DNS queries log I saw tons of queries from the probe
> for case sensitive names. Can someone please enlighten me what the
> possible use cases are?
>
> query: wWw.FacebOOK.COm IN A

Many years ago there was a proposal for stub resolvers to perform case
mangling in DNS requests to obtain increased protection against spoofing
attacks.

This never became popular but is implemented in the stub resolver in
libevent, which is used by the measurement code on the probes.

Then net effect is that probes will send these types of queries whenever
the measurement code needs to look up a DNS name to obtain a target's IP
address.

Philip