On 11/05/2023 14:51, Joe Abley wrote:

Following on from my previous comment, I think it would be better to focus on avoiding *actual* conflicts of interest. I think worrying about appearances is what happens when there is a lack of understanding of the substance and, in the case of managing a useful and productive collaboration between the community and NCC-as-secretariat,the substance seems important.

If the goal is to avoid a need for understanding, then it seems like the natural solution is that NCC staff should never be allowed to participate as members of the community at all. I don't think that is necessary or desirable.

If we had a perfect world then I'd agree with you. However I've been in this business long enough to know that if there is a faintest chance of a possible thought of a conflict then someone will complain.

However, I'm not part of this community any longer in any real sense, and if people think this isn't important then go for it.

Nigel