BJW wrote:
> ok, this is getting annoying.  you completely missed the point of what i
> was saying.
>
> first of all, i already said servers job is not to expect perfection,
> that of course garbage in will = garbage out.
>
> the point i am making above, which is 100% true and not refuted by what
> you said, is that many rippers WILL create files with tags, (be they
> "correct" or not), that have fields like artist, albumartist, album and
> title filled in; but they will NEVER have comp tags.
>
> that is an overwhelmingly COMMON scenario that server should expect.
> this is obvious.  this is not controversial or up for debate.  it is a
> FACT.  what values are actually in those fields has nothing to do with
> anything, it doesn't matter if they are correct or not.  the salient
> point is server will get lots and lots of files presented to it with all
> those values filled in, but no comp tags.

I repeat you are wrong. I have ripped CDs using iTunes (Windows & Mac),
XLD, EAC, DbPoweramp, as well as the Linux ripper/tagged in Vortexboxe.
I have never manually created any Compilation tags but lo and behold I
have some albums where such tags exist. Where did they come from? The
answer is obvious. They came from the online database that whichever
ripper I used has used to create the tags. I can if you wish find you
examples where the Compilation tag is by our definition correct and also
where it is wrong but I assure you I have never created such tags
manually nor do I believe that iTunes (which I dumped very early on) is
the main culprit. Why do you persist in stating that ripping software
does not create Compilation tags when patently they do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PI3 PCP/LMS STORAGE QNAP TS419P (NFS)
*Living Room* - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
*Office* - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3
-> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom
*Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV)* - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
Everything controlled by iPeng