Mnyb wrote:
> 1. You really seems to mean your use case and think your use case is
> representative for a “majority” a common fallacy it’s your bias in this
> . But it is an opinion one can have so ok .
>
> 2. Does it matters at all ? All tag and rip software I used gives you
> the power to add any tag you like for example comp tags.
> Its up the user to use it. Insert a CD automatically populate tags and
> press rip ? This is an user error that gives you bad metadata.
> For a very large percentage of your records .You can’t design around
> that ?
>
> My thoughts. You cant design arond that folks wont fix tag errors due to
> bad default settings and bad metadata sources in rippers
> Many even wanted automatic ripping ? So one cant in advance second guess
> shoddy tagging.
> “Various artist” as track artists is just wrong as “album artist” it can
> be used.
>

> 3. It’s a bug but the user workaround is so simple , that given the
> scarcity of qualified dev time . Meh no high priority imho.
>
> 4 . No issue with a pref to toggle VA logic it does not rock the boat
> everyone can have it their way . This is an ok change.
>
> Off topic I dont think scan times is a problem. I’ll argues for a more
> complex scan so that all settings that forces a rescan can be removed it
> can all be in the dB once done.

I am in complete agreement with this point of view.

To base an an argument on 3 pieces of tagging software that don’t write
Compilation tags when the one with the greatest market share (iTunes)
and at least as many others DO write said tags is just ridiculous.

I have come across the Various Artists string bug but actually it was me
that incorrectly populated the albumartist tag iirc. The workaround is
indeed trivial. I agree it isn’t worth the dev effort as I am sure that
Michael will have looked at it by now and the code changes required must
be very significant otherwise he would have done it.

For the record if I see a Compilation tag I delete it immediately but my
ripper / tagger of choice has too many other features I do like to throw
it away and use one of the non Compilation tag variety. I will live with
an occasional album appearing in Various Artists when it shouldn’t and
know that when it happens I may need to re-tag.

PI3 PCP/LMS STORAGE QNAP TS419P (NFS)
*Living Room* - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
*Office* - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3
-> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom
*Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV)* - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
Everything controlled by iPeng