It is very helpful.

The implication of what you are saying is that both mp3tag and LMS will
support a custom user made and defined BAND tag.

It likely is written by mp3tag as:

TXXX BAND

...in files using id3 tags.  I am not surprised mp3tag allows this or
does that since they are aware TPE2 was hijacked out of spec for Album
Artist by iTunes etc so long ago.

You could verify this in LMS by going to a mp3 in ur collection that has
the custom tag and doing a tag dump in track info, where I believe it
shows the TPE2 / TXXX frame names in full raw style.

What is news to me is that LMS supports reading a custom TXXX BAND tag
as a band value into it's own DB!  That was what the bug was asking for,
so if this is truly the case I don't know why it's still open.

These would be the only 2 pieces of software I'm aware of that support a
custom TXXX BAND tag, but again it's great if that's the case.

using:  win7 64 + lms 7.9 & duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng
on an ipod
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/various_artists_logic &
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/compilations