d6jg wrote:
> It depends on your interpretation of "compilation"
>
> In my world that means a Various Artists album and like you my Best Of's
> are under the Artist in question. For these I would set the album artist
> accordingly and ensure that the compilation tag is NOT set.
>
> For VA albums I do set the compilation tag OR leave all album artist
> blank. The effect is the same.

Similar to d6jg.   I use the COMPILATION tag set to "1" for any album
that has "various artists"  (e.g., soundtracks, best of the decade,
etc.).  For any album that is either all one artist (or mostly that
artist....and maybe a few guests) I either use ARTIST tag only, or if
each track doesn't have identical artist (guest artist?) then I fill in
the ALBUM ARTIST tag with the main artist name.  As noted, if all track
artists are NOT the same and one doesn't use the ALBUM ARTIST tag, then
LMS will treat this album as if it is a compilation (even though
compilation tag is not used).

I also use the ALBUM ARTIST tag a lot when the artist has different
names, but I want them all to show up under one artist folder, and under
one artist in my LMS browsing. So for all of these artists, I'd use
"Doug Sahm" as the ALBUM ARTIST.

The Sir Douglas Quintet
Doug Sahm & Band
Texas Tornados
The Formerly Brothers
etc.

But I would have the ARTIST tag use the actual band name (e.g., Sir
Douglas Quintet), so the album would *also* show up under that artist
name.

Similar for Miles Davis (album artist), but artist might be "Miles Davis
Quintet" or "Miles Davis Sextet" etc.

Regarding ; vs \\.  In my case this produces the same outcome.  In
dbpoweramp (my CD ripper), if I use a ; between artist names in my FLAC
rips it creates two ARTIST tag fields, one for each artist.  If I'm
editing the file tags in mp3tag after the fact, using "" is what tells
it to create two artist fields, or more.  But LMS sees all that the same
(ARTIST has multiple values).

Take the CD, "Two Men with the Blues" by Willie Nelson and Wynton
Marsalis. Here's how i'd tag:

ALBUM:  Two Men with the Blues
ALBUM ARTIST:  Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis
ARTIST: Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis\\Willie Nelson\\Wynton Marsalis
(if using mp3tag), and this will produce 3 separate ARTIST listings in
the LMS database:

ARTIST:  Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis
ARTIST:  Willie Nelson
ARTIST:  Wynton Marsalis

So If I clicked on Wynton Marsalis in "artists" in the LMS menu, I'll
see the album, "Two Men with the Blues" listed. Same with Willie Nelson,
and same with another artist called "Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis".
But from my folder and filing system, the actual digital files live in
an artist folder called "Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis"

p.s. I would NOT use the COMPILATION tag for this album.

*Home:* VBA2.5 4TB -or- rPi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter,
Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
*Cottage:* rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
*Office:* Win10(64)>foobar2000
*The Wild: *rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS &
Squeezelite)
*Controllers:* iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin,
or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
*Files:* -Ripping-: dbpoweramp > FLAC; -Post-rip-: mp3tag, PerfectTunes,
TuneFusion; -Streaming:- Spotify