On Tue 19 Feb, Justin Fletcher wrote:

> James Taylor wrote:
> >
> > Please look at the problem before passing comment.
>
> Still, it's empirical evidence; whilst it may be skewed there's
> very little you can say from empirical evidence other than that
> over the period... I said this.

I think your condescension is rather unnecessary.
You *still* haven't run the program have you?
Please run it, understand it, and only then make such
comments, otherwise you run the risk of seeming foolish.

> > I'm referring to Acorn C
>
> Perl isn't built with Acorn C, though;

I now know that UnixLib was used to the *exclusion* of the
standard Acorn CLib. Previously I thought UnixLib would only
be used for the things not provided by CLib which is why I
thought it strange that rand() shouldn't work. I stand
corrected, thank you.

> if you want to comment on the randomness of perl;
> you will have to use UnixLib.

As a user of Perl I can comment on the randomness of Perl
regardless of whether I also happen to be a user of UnixLib.

In fact, I've never used UnixLib and I'm not familiar with
its workings. If I were, I'd just replace its rand function
with a C equivalent of the Mitchell-Moore generator I posted
here recently.

--
James Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Based in Southam, Cheltenham, UK.