Hi Fred
According to synaptic (an Ubuntu package manager)
mp3val is a program for MPEG audio stream validation.

MP3val is a small, high-speed tool for MPEG audio files validation
and (optionally) fixing problems.

It was primarily designed for verification of MPEG 1 Layer III (MP3)
files, but supports also other MPEG versions and layers.

It can be useful for finding corrupted files (e.g. incompletely
downloaded).

And thats what Synaptic says...
Many Thanks
Geoff Barkman