overall, it seems like you are doing everything right... I use USB all
the time, I just plug it in, and it shows up...unplug it, it goes
away... I an not sure what version you are using...

IS your computer bios set up to allow/detect USB...(some have options
that need to be turned on and off)  If you plug anything into the
computer (flash drive, etc.) do they show up?

Is the USB the only sound device?, is there on-board audio, (if there
is, turn that on, and see if it helps)

as far as the 1010, wouldn't hurt, as you get a bunch of in's and outs,
that remain static...(although at that point, you will want to remove
the on-board and other audio cards if you really don't need them)...