Hi Nicholas
I'm another Ubuntu fan.... except I use Lubuntu with its different desktop.

2 problems you might be having is group membership.

Just after you install and before you try to run rdadmin. Run these 2
commands in a terminal...
sudo adduser $USER rivendell
and
sudo adduser $USER audio

Also check in the /etc/rd.conf file that the line saying
AudioOwner=USERNAME is correct.
Now log out or reboot the machine. Then try starting rdadmin. You
might also want to check ownership of the /var/snd directory is
correct.

I hope this helps you.
Many thanks
Geoff Barkman