Andy:

Thanks for the info. Are you using Audio Science sound cards with your HP 8000's?

Rich

On 2/13/2018 07:58, Andy Higginson wrote:
Another vote here for the HP 8000 and above series.  I'm using HP 8000 Elite machines which are Core2Duo E8500 CPU based.  These can be bought in the UK from about £50 (8100 is from £100 and 8200 from £100 as well).  At that price it is reasonable to have a spare or 2 in stock for fast swap out if one fails.  The only issues I've had with any of the 8000 series are the fans.  On some 8200 machines in my studios (running Audition) I've had to replace a CPU fan and a rear fan.  Both a very quick swap.

One machine to avoid is the HP dc7900.  I've seen issues with the motherboard capacitors on these machines.

Andy

---- On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 04:46:48 +0000 Steve Varholy <st...@wxryfm.org> wrote ----

I prefer to use enterprise/corporate level systems that have come off lease and have been refurbished.

After suffering through years of Dell Optiplexes that have bad motherboard capacitors, we've moved over to HPs with Intel i5 processors. In particular, I have had good luck with the 8300 series with a mix of USF/Slim Form Factor/Desktop and Mini-Tower. They can run Windows XP (for our iMediaTouch system - scheduled for upgrade to the latest version or replacement with Rivendell) so you shouldn't have any issues.

I have Rivendell built from the Appliance on a 8300 Slim Desktop/SSD and it's been rock solid for a year.

Steve Varholy
President and General Manager

1478183502168_WXRY_Full_993_300x145.png

The Historic Barringer Building

1338 Main Street - Suite 202

Columbia, South Carolina 29201

Office: (803) 753-7260 x 251

Direct: (803) 404-5535

Cell: (703) 585-2101

A Service of the Independent Media Foundation