On Nov 16, 2018, at 12:50, Richard Elen <re...@brideswell.com> wrote:
> As I am a novice here, I would be most grateful if you could do me the favour
> of providing an example usage of nested-import.pl, just so that I get it
> right first time.
>
> The command-line invocation I am using currently would be:
>
> rdimport --verbose --segue-level=-10 --autotrim-level=-30
> --normalization-level=-10  MUSIC *
>
> How would I call the Perl script with these parameters?

The usage is very similar to that of rdimport(1) — in fact, it takes all of the
same options. The difference is that the <filespec> now refers to
*directories*, rather than files! So, say you had a directory full of MP3s in a
directory called ‘/home/rd/MyMusic’. You could import the whole batch into a
group called ‘MUSIC’ by doing:

        nested-import.pl MUSIC /home/rd/MyMusic

If ‘/home/rd/MyMusic’ contained subdirectories, it would recurse down into
those as well. And so on.

However, a lot of the real power lies in the fact that all of the usual
rdimport(1) commands can still be given and will work as expected. Thus, you
could do:

        nested-import.pl --segue-level=-10 --autotrim-level=-30
--normalization-level=-10 MUSIC /home/rd/MyMusic

and all of those level parameters would be applied to each import, just as if
you’d done each one individually with rdimport(1).

It works with scheduler codes too. Say Drew has sent you a USB drive full of
Bahamian music, which you’ve mounted at ‘/media/usb_key’. You could create a
scheduler code (in rdadmin(1)) called ‘BHMA’, then import the music by doing:

        nested-import.pl --add-scheduler-code=BHMA MUSIC /media/usb_key

and then every file imported would be tagged with code ‘BHMA’ so you could
program the music scheduler to call for one wherever you wanted to add a little
Caribbean flavor to your music mix. (Of course, you can also add your standard
level parameters to that invocation so the levels and markers come in just
right as well).

Lots of possibilities here. The easiest way to get started is the experiment
with a few files and see what effect turning the various knobs produce. I
wouldn’t try a batch of 5000 files until you have a good sense of what to
expect.