I never use 3306 over the public Internet. My usual practice is to open a reverse SSH tunnel and do my MySQL queries through that.

At one station, I couldn't use such a tunnel due to peculiar circumstances, so I configured MySQL to use a high numbered port instead, and opened it only to the IP address of the machine thet needed to use it. That's not as safe as the reverse SSH tunnel, because the traffic is still unencrypted, and a malicious actor could figure out what's going on and access the port by spoofing the address of the other machine.

Rob

--
Я там, где ребята толковые,
Я там, где плакаты "Вперёд",