It could be that you are not in the cdrom group on the linux system. Test
this in most linux systems by holding down CTRL and ALT keys and with
another finger type T... once the terminal opens type "groups" and hit
enter.
Or alternatively your rivendell system user could have cdrom user
privileges taken away from it... log into rdadmin and check the user
privileges in there.
Many thanks
Geoff