I've been connecting to a remote stream using alsa for over 4 years now....
I put some scripts and instructions on my blog.... It required 3 soundcards
and a Patch cable from the green speaker output plug on soundcard 3 to the
blue line in socket on soundcard 1.
http://geofffromdunedin.blogspot.com/2014/08/connecting-to-remote-webstream-with.html
and
http://geofffromdunedin.blogspot.com/2014/08/disconnecting-from-stream.html

Its quite complex and I can explain more if required.
Many Thanks
Geoff Barkman
Dunedin New Zealand