Frank,

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 5:48 PM Frank Christel <fjchris...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Drew, you asked “I am not aware of a book like you are looking for. Can
> you give a little more details as to what sort of things you would want it
> to cover?”
>
> It’s always my hope when embarking on new explorations (such as a journey
> to Rivendell) that someone has written a travel guide.

I think we may be somewhat similar in this. I tend to prefer HOW-TOs to man
pages. Even though I know I should invest the time and it will likely pay
off big in the long run, I have never quite managed to grok man pages. I
much prefer several variations or working examples from which I can mix and
match and extrapolate.

Do you have a favourite example of this genre of book on another subject?

> Something that doesn’t so much explain the nuts and bolts of how things
> work, but instead tells inspiring stories about the journey and what to see
> and do. Testimonies about overcoming obstacles. How whipping up raw
> ingredients yielded a yummy concoction.

Would you like to try developing this book on the wiki?

> Chapter titles for a “Big Book of Rivendell Cookbook” might include:
>
> — Oh no, not again!: Cheerleading the adoption of (yet) another automation
> system
> — Who’s on first?: Where files live, sync, and play
> — Doing the SaMBa: Integration with NPR satellite receivers
> — All roads lead to Rivendell: VNC access from inside and outside the
> studios

I could work some on the above chapter. I have been doing it long enough.
Perhaps too long, I may be doing it in an outdated manner.

> — Break down this wall!: Mass file importation strategies
> — Rosie the Robot: Clever uses of macro carts in the real world
> — Flowing down the river: Understanding Rivendell’s system of carts,
> events, clocks, grid, and logs
> — We just have time for one more: Automating music hours to meet time posts
> — Glasnost, comrade: Network coexistence with Windows machines
> — Doing what comes naturally: The easy way to integrate Natural Log and
> Natural Music
> — In five, four, three: Breaking format for local emergencies and
> congressional debates
> — Play it again, Sam: Playing MP2 files without using ASI cards
> — The path less travelled: Linux isn’t as scary as it looks
> — You’ll pry my dead, cold hand: Switching staff from Adobe Audition to a
> Linux-based audio editor
> — Front porch whittlin’:What to do with free time saved by not babysitting
> cranky automation systems

— Party at the Beach: Live remote via IP with openop or icecast and
liquidsoap.

> Purely by coincidence, those chapters mirror questions and objections
> staff have raised in considering our adoption of Rivendell.
>
> Frank

all the best,

drew
--