Frank,

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 5:43 PM Frank Christel <fjchris...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Noob question: why are ASI cards required to play MP2 files?

Experiment with this yourself.

On a test box, say the RasPi Rivendell (corrected) you mention below, run
rdadmin.

click manage hosts.
highlight the host in question and click edit.
click rdlibrary.
about halfway down change Format: from PCM16 to MPEG Layer 2.
save everything until you are out of rdadmin
start rdlibrary and import a new song into a new cart.
try to play the cart.
if it plays...
from a terminal:
file /var/snd/999999_001.wav

where the filename bit corresponds to the cart/cut you just imported and
played.

IIRC, the mp2 files are "stored" in wav "containers"...

all the best,

drew

> From the “Features and Benefits” list on the Rivendell home page: "Support
> for both PCM16 and MPEG Layer 2 audio formats (MPEG Layer 2 support
> requires the use of select sound cards available from AudioScience Inc.).”
>
> (ASI cards are required by BSI’s Simian to play MP2s on Windows, too.)
>
> Is the MP2 format so old there are no software decoders? Or is MP2
> processing so intensive in real time that it must be offloaded to an
> external sound card?
>
> Is there a way for a RasPi Rivendale node to play MP2s without first
> converting the files to WAV?
>
> Frank Christel
>
> ______________
>
> On 2/26/2020, at 5:49 PM, Fred Gleason <fr...@paravelsystems.com> wrote:
>
> ...Not all ASI cards are supported in any given driver version. For CentOS
> 7 setups, we provide three, v4.13.0, v4.20.10 and 4.20.21 (with v4.20.21
> being installed by default). Any ASI-5XXX or ASI-6XXX card (the ones with
> the orange colored mu-metal shields) should be able to work with one of
> those drivers, although sometimes some experimentation is required to find
> out which driver does the trick… That said, ASI-4XXX cards (the ones with
> the blue mu-metal shields) are NOT supported in Rivendell at all.

Enjoy the *Paradise Island Cam* playing
*Bahamian Or Nuttin* - https://www.paradiseislandcam.com/