Alan,

Not sure about USB, but if you have an available serial port then you can use
the modem control lines for 4 inputs and 2 outputs.  I imagine it would
probably work with one of those cheap USB-RS232 / serial port dongles.  I've
previously documented the process at:

http://caspian.paravelsystems.com/pipermail/rivendell-dev/2015-April/022658.html

Lorne Tyndale

 The Wiki pages have an entry on how to wire up a 15-pin joystick port to use
as a controller. Those ports are rarer than unicorn spit these days.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a simple programmable USB button-box that
I can use to execute basic Airplay commands; specifically MAN / AUTO / Start?

Alan
Rolling Valley Radio 1700
(Part 15 AM)