On Dec 26, 2020, at 16:49, Lorne Tyndale <ltynd...@tyndaleweb.com> wrote:

> The one thing I would add to the discussion is that rdsetcut should also
> exist as a macro command so you can set the cut value through a macro.
> One of things that I find truly powerful with Rivendell is the extensive
> macro language, the ability to do pretty much everything via macros.

++

> One question though - why would it be necessary to bypass dayparting in
> this mode?

In a word: orthogonality. What makes this approach so elegant is that it allows
cut-selection logic to be completely delegated to an external system; Rivendell
becomes merely the executive agent. Keeping the day-parting around in that
scenario significantly mucks up the logic; not only in the code, but more
importantly in the heads of the people who have to deal with it, both the
implementors and the end users. If you *want* day-parting in that mode, you are
perfectly free to implement it in your external system, free of any vestigial
policy constraints from Rivendell.

> If a cut doesn't exist, could there be a "default cut" field / option in
> the cart settings to deal with this?

We already have something like this: the ‘Evergreen’ cut. So the logic when a
non-existent cut is specified would become:

1) If an Evergreen cut exists, play that.

2) Otherwise, the cart become unplayable (shows RED in the log, and gets
skipped over when attempted to be played).

In fact, I can see the ability to make the cart unplayable could actually be a
useful feature in many scenarios. So, in rdsetcut(1), specifying
'--cut-number=0' would do just that: make the cart unplayable TFN. (Although,
we may want to present this state in logs differently; RED strongly implies
“error, problem”, whereas this would be an intentional condition).

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |             Chief Developer             |
|                           |             Paravel Systems             |
|   When you feel the urge to design a complex binary file format,    |
|   it's generally wise to lie down until the feeling passes.         |
|                                     -- Eric Raymond                 |
|                                     "The Art of UNIX Programming"   |