> I think one of the biggest advances in the potential for the use of Rivet by
> others has been the creation of a Linux RPM and a FreeBSD port of Rivet 2.0.
>
> While I enthusiastically welcome further Rivet development, successful
> efforts to grow the user base will yield more energy and more people who are
> willing to contribute.
>
> That being said, I don't particularly know where to go from there.

I'm not sure I know where to go either. 0-]  I'm just working with it and
starting to find places where it could be improved, that's all.  I think you're
right about getting new users and new energy, but not a damn one of us knows
how to do that.  If we did, one of us might have been able to save Tcl
somewhat.  David has complained of this point many times.

We're just not marketing people.  How do you market a language to someone?  Tcl
is much easier for novices to grasp, but its setup means that you have to have
an Apache server implementation with the ability to compile modules in.  That's
not something a novice is going to have.  They're going to be setup on a simple
hosting service that probably has PHP built in.  It's the default choice for a
lot of people because it's always there.

I'm open to suggestions, but I've given up caring about what people want to
work on my projects.  If I want to work on them, I work on them.  The people
who care about the project and use it will always contribute to it here and
there.  But until someone has a need for something, the project will push along
doing what it does without problems.  It doesn't mean the project is dead, it
just means there's not much to do with a stable release that works really well
and does the job.