On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 17:12 +0000, Dogsbody wrote:
> >> ... as you can see, I have added /sbin/ifup to SCRIPTWHITELIST however
> >> it still seems to show as a warning!?
> >> Is it because I am using PKGMGR=RPM?
> >
> > Yes. If you run 'rpm -Vf /sbin/ifup' it will show that the RPM package
> > manager thinks the file has changed (probably showing 5, S and T as
> > having changed). If the file was updated recently, then the package
> > manager database does not seem to have been correspondingly changed. You
> > may want to ensure that the rest of the package is valid (although the
> > 'rpm -Vf' command will check the whole package anyway).
>
> Thank you, your right...
>
> # rpm -Vf /sbin/ifup
> .M......  c /etc/adjtime
> S.5....T  c /etc/inittab
> SM5....T  c /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt
> S.5....T  c /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> .......T  c /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
> S.5....T  c /sbin/ifup
>
> So what is the fix?  Sorry if this is a silly question and I'm aware I
> may be going away from RKH support but do I need to somehow "re-sync"
> the RPM package manager? Or can I whitelist this in RKH?

This is not something that RKH can sort out. By using the package
manager you are telling RKH just to check the package manager to see if
a file has changed. In this case /sbin/ifup has changed. You can't
whitelist these because it is the package manager telling RKH that the
file has changed - not RKH checking its own values to see if the file
has changed.

The question is have the files been modified by someone else, or is this
just a package update that has gone a little wrong?

Personally I would check the yum.log (or whatever log file you have that
records package updates) to see if the initscripts package was updated
recently. If it has not, then I would investigate why the files such as
rc.local have changed. (It is a script so just by 'cat'-ing it you may
see something indicating that someone has changed it.) If initscripts
was updated recently, then it is possible that the update didn't
complete successfully. I would obtain a known good copy of the
initscripts RPM, and manually/forcibly install it (if you are using
'yum' then it may be possible to tell yum to reinstall a package - the
man page might say). Run 'rpm -V initscripts' afterwards.

If a package had several modified files in it, then I would have
suggested perhaps re-installing the package from a good source. In this
case though the package is 'initscripts' as far as I can tell, and that
involves a lot of the system startup scripts.

John.