On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 16:37 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:

> I found a recommendation to disable the 'os_specific' check in
> DISABLED_TESTS in rkhunter.conf to fix this

The config file provided by us makes no such recommendation.

> , but, what other tests/checks are being disabled by this? Or is it just the
> check for
> modules? If the latter, why not just rename this check to
> 'loadable_modules' or something?

The os_specific test runs different tests depending on the O/S you are
using.

I assume you are using Linux, so there are two tests runs. The
'loaded_modules' test, checks the modules currently loaded on your
system, but since you don't have /proc/modules you can disable this
test. The 'avail_modules' test checks the modules on disk. It requires
the pathname to the modules, which is usually something
like /lib/modules or /lib/modules/2.6.30.8-64.fc11.x86_64 (where the O/S
version is determined from 'uname -r'). You can set the pathname in the
config file if RKH can't work it out for itself.

I would suggest disabling just the 'loaded_modules' test.

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001