On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 07:52 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm still a bit new to rkhunter.
>
> I've been running the apps test ever since I installed rkhunter, and the
> only time I got a hit was after updating the core tools, which makes
> sense, since those executables are updated, and a quick --propupd fixes it.
>
> I also recently had a hit on the same two apps (gpg and ?), and based on
> the comments here, decided to disable the apps test.
>
> Now, I am only apparently running two tests: File properties, and rootkits.

You need to check your config file to see what tests have been disabled.
However, even without the apps test you should have whole sections of
tests stating what they are doing:

Checking system commands... (which includes the file properties test,
but is not restricted to just that)
Checking the network...
Checking the local host...

Each of these have several tests within them. So unless you have
disabled a lot of tests, you shouldn't have just the file properties and
rootkit tests running.

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001