Some of the things that people do really piss me off. This is one of them.

Re RKHunter.

Did the scanning. Great. Interesting results worthy of further
investigation. Instruction - see log file. Go to open log file using
occassionally stupid Gedit, permission denied, must be root to view.
Tried with several better text editors; Kate, Leaf? etc.

OK so the log file is being locked by default.

Tried to access / copy save as by using sudo and su...... and then there
is shitloads of semi-applicable coding to do with root editing of
permissions etc...

And I am thinking "I should never ever have to be even doing this
either".....

This is not acceptable.

I need to get into it - to read it and make decisions and take actions
on the basis of that information - but someone has decided to lock it by
default for only root access.

As far as I am concerned - this should never have been done.

What makes this even stupider, is that there is NO instructions ANYWHERE
on how to accress it as root, or how to change the permissions so it can
be read by text editors or how to read the log file or convert and save
it into a plain text file on the desk top etc...

Not that there should ever have to be - but there is NOTHING.....

And I am thinking  - are you people fucking stupid or what? I hate you
for doing such fucking idiotic shit - and expecting others to try and
dance through the minefield of fucking crap that you have created for them.

Why in the fuck are you not just saving the log as a plain text file
with no locks on it at all?

Fucking idiots.