On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 17:36 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:

> >> I don't mind disabling the test completely if it isn't very useful (this
> >> is what I was told about the 'applications' test a while back)... but is
> >> that what you are saying?
>
> > The test is useful, but only for those systems which do not have the
> > immutable bit set. If your system has the bit set on most system
> > commands, then you will get a lot of false-positives. In that case the
> > test is not useful, so it can be disabled. Having said that I guess it
> > could be useful if the test could be reversed - so in your case it would
> > report any command which does not have the bit set. I will consider
> > that.
>
> Ok - so, you're saying this is a *new* test that didn't exist in 1.3.4?
> Remember, 1.3.4 was running for many months without ever having one
> warning like this.

No. The test has been there for a long time (since 1.3.0 at least).

There were changes made to whether the test should run, but as far as I
can see these only affected BSD systems. Gentoo is not mentioned at all
in this respect.

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001