On 10-06-01 11:23 AM, Duane Loftus wrote:
> OK .. just when I thought I was getting pretty smart - a dumb issue
> intercedes.  I was trying to install skdet into the rkhunter program.
> I downloaded it and got this far:
>
> [r...@ip-208-109-24-147 skdet-1.0]# pwd
> /home/lmtfinan/skdet-1.0
> [r...@ip-208-109-24-147 skdet-1.0]# ls
> AUTHORS        CREDITS    Makefile  include  src
> CONTRIBUTIONS  ChangeLog  README    skdet    tests
>
> But I can't get it to recognize the skdet command.  Have I not
> "installed" it?
>
> Humbled again.
> Duane

It looks to me like you've just got it in a specific directory in your
home directory. Unless your OS knows to look in there for commands, it
won't recognize it unless you tell it to explicitly run it ala:

=========
[r...@ip-208-109-24-147 skdet-1.0]# /home/lmtfinan/skdet-1.0/skdet
=========
(assuming skdet is the executable, and has the executable bit set)

I am only detailing this for your own edification though (I know how
much I appreciated people explaining minor details to me when I first
started out).

I would highly recommend installing it from a repo as suggested
previously :)

-Chris