On Mon, 09 May 2011 14:56:46 +0200 Andy Clyde - OMN Hosting
<andy.cl...@omnhosting.co.uk> wrote:

>rkhunter started reported this just over a week ago:
>Warning: Hidden ports found:
>          Port number: 42208
>          Port number: 55731
>
>I downloaded and ran chkrootkit and that showed nothing.

Chkrootkit, which hasn't been updated in a while AFAIK anway,
doesn't look at ports the way Rootkit Hunter does. The
do_network_hidden_port_checks() function uses 'tcp-unhide' which
tries to bind to all ports accessible in an attempt to find if one
is in use.

>We can't see any evidence of any processes running that are using
those
>ports. Is this a FP? Any ideas of what else to try/where else to
look?

Ephemeral ports are often used by transient processes meaning that
if you can't investigate in real time you do not really stand a
chance unless you had syscall (bind?), local firewall, network
connection table (or parent routing device?) logging enabled.

Best regards,
unSpawn
---