On Thu, 2014-04-17 at 14:06 -0400, m.r...@5-cent.us wrote:
> Hi, folks,
>
>    We're running CentOS 6.5, and rkhunter 1.4.0-2. My problem that's just
> shown up, I think it was with the latest rkhunter update, is this: I've
> got a user running jobs in R that run for days (not unusual around here
> for jobs to run for days, or weeks). But R appears to use /dev/shm, and
> of the three it creates (at least related to one job), one has a
> prefix, one a postfix... and the main one has *nothing* other than a
> random alphanumeric string as a filename.
>
>    Now, I could just whitelist /dev/shm, but I'm *sure* there's malware
> out there that makes use of that. So my question is, *should* I
> whitelist /dev/shm, since I can't know in advance what the random name
> is, or is there a better solution?

Take a look at EXISTWHITELIST. It can be used when something may or may
not exist. However, it may not work well if you don't know the random
name, although if it is (for example) just numbers you could try
something like: EXISTWHITELIST=/dev/shm/[0-9][0-9]*

John.

John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK      Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001