I really, *REALLY* HATE lists that are configured such that "reply" only
sends to the poster, not to the list, and you have to hit <reply all> to
get that....

dean germeten wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. I ran rootkit in terminal again, or displayed the
> said file contents (unsure which) Anyway I see two problems, one
> which may affect file access;

> 'Permit root login' (yes)
> 'ALLOW_SSH_ROOT_USER' (no)

> Apparently the app wants me to be consistent. Any idea how I can
> change the second setting to (yes)? (I'm a Linux newbie and don't
> really know my way around in the terminal, or what it's capable of.)

Yes, it wants consistancy, and NO, you don't want that. What that's saying
is that sshd should be configured *not* to allow logging in as root.
That's a BAD idea. Always ssh in as a user, then sudo, or, if you need to
do a number of things, sudo -s (gives you root, will ask for your password
as sudo does, make sure that you have the right in /etc/sudoers... and to
edit that, ALWAYS use visudo, *don't* just vi it; it will check the
syntax, and not allow it to be saved if you have a syntax error, which
would land you in a heap o' trouble if it's broken.)

> Also, in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, disallow anything but ssh-2.

> Also maybe related: "Warning: The command '/usr/bin/unhide.rb' has
> been replaced by a script: /usr/bin/unhide.rb: Ruby script ASCII text."

Yeah, we've run into that here - it's started complaining about that.
<snip>
        mark