On Mon, 2015-10-05 at 00:16 +0100, John Horne wrote:

> So on your BSD system running: ls -ld /usr/.* | egrep -v '/\.\.?$'
> sets RKHTMPVAR to contain the colour codes. That really doesn't make
> much sense.

Actually it does make sense, thinking about it a bit more, if the 'ls'
or 'egrep' command is setting the colour of the output.

On my Linux PC if I use 'ls --color=always' and either set a variable
to the output or pipe the output to a grep/egrep command, the result is
coloured output. That is, the variable now contains the colour escape
characters. This obviously messes up any piped egrep command.
If I use a pipe, or set a variable, and set the ls command to 'ls -
-color=auto' then no escape sequences are produced.
So I would suspect that either the 'ls' or 'egrep' command are always
setting the colour.

If, as root, you just run 'ls -ld /usr/.* | cat -vet' do you get
coloured output?
Also, as root, if you type in 'alias ls' what is the output?
And what is the output of 'alias egrep'?

I'm still a bit confused though because aliases aren't exported to
scripts.

John.