Hello Mark,

Regarding Issue #1:

"--propupd" doesn't white-list files in cases where
they are or are replaced by scripts; you have to do that manually,
by adding SCRIPTWHITELIST items to your "/etc/rkhunter.conf":

Inline docs there say:

# Allow the specified commands to be scripts.
# One command per line (use multiple SCRIPTWHITELIST lines).
#SCRIPTWHITELIST=/path/to/file

Be aware that it will complain if the white-listed file doesn't exist.

And Issue #2/4:

Take a look at the STARTUP_PATHS item in your "/etc/rkhunter.conf".

I'm unfamiliar with MacOS, so I don't know the proper
value to set, but I'll post the inline docs below:

# This option tells rkhunter the local system startup file pathnames.
# It is a space-separated list of files and directories. The directories
# will be searched for files. By default rkhunter will use certain
# filenames and directories. If the option is set to 'none', then
# certain tests will be skipped.
#STARTUP_PATHS="/etc/rc.d /etc/rc.local"

Regards,
Konrad Tegtmeier