I think you might be better off with a mainstream anti-malware software
product, rather than attempting to help update rkhunter to assist in a timely
manner. I'll first point out that the current version was released over 2-½
years ago which is not all that unusual over it's lifetime. The first article
you provided links for already contains Snort and Yara pattern signatures that
could be used immediate with an anti-malware product that support such things.

I'm strictly a macOS user, so can't speak to what might be your best bet, but
do know that ClamAV supports whatever flavor of Linux you are using, as well as
the above signatures and it's also free, if that's a consideration.

Sent from my iPad

-Al-