From: Shawn Hall <shawn.h...@bp.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 2:01 PM
To: "robinhood-support@lists.sourceforge.net"
<robinhood-support@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [robinhood-support] Out of date file sizes

Hi,

We’re running Robinhood 2.5.5-2 against several of our Lustre file systems
using changelogs.  We’ve been having a problem that seems to be mostly around
actively written files on the file systems.  We had a user today that was
writing out over a petabyte of data, but this was not shown in the Robinhood
database.  The files all existed in the database, but their files sizes were
significantly smaller than on disk.  A rbh-diff on the user’s directory brought
the database back in sync.

I assume this is because no changelog events are produced while a file is open
and being actively written to.  Under the db_update_policy stanza in our
Robinhood configuration, we left the default of md_update=always.  Should I
change that to on_event_periodic to keep up with these changing files?  If so,
what would be a reasonable min_interval and max_interval for file systems with
10-20 million files?  Do the intervals mean that Robinhood won’t check for
updates any sooner than min_interval (even if an event occurs) and will check
an entry when it hasn’t been checked in the last max_interval?  If I have a
max_interval of 1h, does that mean every file in the file system will be
checked for updates once every hour?

What is the difference between “always” and “on_event”?  Does “on_event” update
for certain events whereas “always” updates for any event related to that entry?

Thanks in advance,
Shawn