> >  The above is just for consideration if the robots.txt is ever
> updated so the
> > robots could be informed of this little detail.
>
>   There was a push in '96 or '97 to update the robots.txt standard
> and I
> wrote a proposal back then
> (http://www.conman.org/people/spc/robots2.html)
> and while I still get the occasional email about it to my knowledge,
> no
> robot has implemented it (some portions perhaps, but not everything).
> only mention this because it was attempted before.

Yes, that's the problem.  Robot writers don't care for robots.txt
improvements (it would just slow their robots down), and people in
charge of maintaining robots.txt rarely/never hear about ideas
discussed on this list.  The push has to come from the latter group, I
believe.

I'm writing a simple little thing for indexing my Opera bookmarks which
includes a crawler component, so if I have time I'll try implementing
as much of the stuff mentioned in your proposal as I can, just for fun
(some fun).

Otis (where is my Turkey?) Gospodnetic