I too wrote a small web crawler in Java around an year
back - well I would agree with you if you meant the
ease of programming. But these are the advantages I
still feel Java offers
1) A wide ready to use library - for parsing (although
I had some problems with it in the initial stages).
2) A robust multi-threading capability - that is a
must for a good crawler.
3) Platform independence - so that you could use your
crawler from almost any platform.
4) The added advantage to give a crawler a GUI or an
applet form unlike when using perl.

Bijoy

--- Otis Gospodnetic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>