will you take me off your list.  Many thanks. [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Andrew Daviel
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 1:01 PM
To: Internet robots, spiders, web-walkers, etc.
Subject: RE: [Robots] Hit Rate - testing is this mailing linst alive?

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello Robots list
>
> Well maybe this list can finally put to rest a great deal of the "30
second wait" issue.

> Can we all collectively research into an adaptive routine?

Interesting topic...

With one hat on, I operate one of those little servers with thousands of
pages. I guess I'm lucky; I don't pay bandwidth and the connection is
naturally limited to a T-1.

With my other hat on, at TRIUMF we have started to have issues with
bandwidth management. We now have a gigabit link to the research networks
with no byte charges, so don't care if someone sucks our site from ESnet
(CERN, Fermilab, Los Alamos etc.).
However, we have a 100Mbit link to commercial backbone and can't afford to
fill it - P2P is a problem. Our current "solution" is to limit outgoing
traffic to 1Mbit - except our central webserver and mailserver.
So we would be financially embarrassed if a lot of robots from the
commercial side all decided to mirror our servers.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the issue of instantaneous
hit rate is not really a problem any more, but that volume might be.
However, I guess that the people running robots also have finite storage
and have to pay for bandwidth, so that perhaps this is a non-problem
except where there is a serious asymmetry between source and destination.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376