I would recommend the following steps for new users to create their "own" buildconf:

1. Starting with the minimal package set from the tutorials
2. adapt it and adding needed packages for their system
3. create anywhere (fileserver/gitorious/github) the project and a "buildconf" package
3.5. adapt if wished the bootstrap.sh
4. commit and push the adapted package set to the server
switch the current configuration to the new location
5. autoproj switch-config git <path-to-bootstrap.git>

These steps should do the job and regarding to the tutorial the most intuitive.

Best,
Matthias

P.S. regarding Sylvains package_set suggestions, you have of course push the package set to some location too and make it known in the manifest.