> And they dont need to do that, because the robot model is known at compile
> time.
> Another approach would be to introduce Task templates which are used together
> with other information to define a specialized version of a task.
> An example would be a Transformer template which uses URDF information to
> define a specific Transformer for a specific robotic system.

Even assuming that it would be true (and others in this thread gave
you reasons why it is not so), requiring codegen for everything that
looks like a dynamic feature is shooting yourself in the foot. Codegen
is not a silver bullet. It's actually a fairly horrible-to-maintain
mean to put models in systems.

I usually prefer to use "modelling time" instead of "compile time".
Having a transformer that does no "transform chain discovery" and that
does not depend on demultiplexing a unknown stream of transformations
is definitely on my list. The components would still be dynamic (ports
created at configure time, transform trees created at configure time)
but the knowledge extracted from the model is given to the component
instead of being guessed.

Sylvain