http://www.festival-cannes.fr/index.php/en/article/55652

"CALIFORNIA DREAMIN" BY CRISTIAN NEMESCU WINS THE UN CERTAIN REGARD PRIZE

At the closing ceremonies, California Dreamin’ by Romanian director Cristian
Nemescu, who was recently killed in an automobile accident, was awarded the
Un Certain Regard prize by the Jury presided by filmmaker Pascale Ferran. As
the first feature-length film made by 27-year-old Nemescu, California
Dreamin' is also in the running for a Caméra d'Or. The story was inspired by
an event which actually did occur during the Kosovo war. In 1999, in a small
rural Romanian village, the railway station master, who was also the village
rascal, stopped a NATO train carrying a load of military equipment. The
freight, guarded by American soldiers, was crossing Romania without having
officially cleared customs: the Romanian government had simply granted
permission verbally. With the arrival of the Americans, the village became
the place where anything was possible.

The young cineaste first attracted notice last year at Critics' Week, which
presented his 45-minute masterpiece Marilena de la P7, the portrait of a
teenage boy in love with a prostitute. Pascale Ferran, awarding the prize to
California Dreamin' tonight, praised it as "far and above, the most lively
and liberated film proposal we've seen in our ten days here." The jury had
initially decided not to judge the film, because it had not been completed,
due to Nemescu's death. But the jurors reconsidered their decision after
watching the film Friday night. "Our rock-solid theory collapsed," Pascale
Ferran commented.

Two other prizes were awarded by the Un Certain Regard Jury. The Special
Jury Prize went to Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi for Actresses, and The Band's
Visit by Israeli director Eran Kolirin, having won the jurors' hearts,
received the Prix Coup de Cœur.

Copyright Festival de Cannes 2007

Vali
"Noble blood is an accident of fortune; noble actions are the chief mark of
greatness." (Carlo Goldoni)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know
peace." (Jimi Hendrix)

Raspunde prin e-mail lui