http://www.montrealmirror.com/2007/102507/film1.html

Mirror Film:
Beyond abortion
Cristian Mungiu on his gritty, Palme d’Or-winning drama 4 Months, 3 Weeks
and 2 Days
by MATTHEW HAYS

Cristian Mungiu makes one thing perfectly clear as he settles in for another
interview about his Cannes award-winning feature, 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2
Days. This movie is not a film about abortion. “This is a misperception
about my film,” he says, on the line from his home in Romania. “When I sat
down to write it, I wasn’t setting out to make a film about abortion.”

He could have fooled us. Even if 4 Months is not meant as a PSA about the
issue, it does provide the film’s narrative thrust. Set in ’80s Romania
during Ceausescu’s brutal reign, Mungiu’s story has one anguished young
woman (played brilliantly by Anamaria Marinca) trying desperately to help
her college roommate (Laura Vasiliu) to get a late-term abortion. Romania
had strict laws on the books prohibiting it and any form of contraception,
so in order to follow through with the task, the two women must involve
themselves with a seedy underground abortion provider. It’s an unbelievably
intense film, recalling the gritty Italian neo-realist films of the late
’40s.

But Mungiu says he tries to keep his influences narrowed down to one thing:
reality. “I see no films at all for the year or two that I’m making a film.
I like to keep things minimalist, not spectacular. I feel that my films
should be about life, not about other films. I like to think that I present
the kind of complexity we see in life and put it on the screen. A film
shouldn’t speak about one thing, it can speak about many things.”

4 Months has set off strong critical reactions, gaining accolades for its
strong performances and harrowing plot twists. “People have interpreted the
film in many ways. Some have seen it as a film about freedom and communism.
Some see it about the social classism that existed under communism. Many see
it as being about abortion, of course. For me, it’s about responsibilities,
friendship and solidarity. What is surprising in many ways is that some
people have seen it as a pro-choice movie while others have seen it as an
anti-abortion movie, depending on their perspective.”

Baby boom by decree

Ironically, Mungiu says he sees himself as part of a product of Ceausescu’s
strict law on abortion, first enacted in 1966. This led to a massive baby
boom in Romania—which was part of the dictator’s plan. “He was a
megalomaniac,” says Mungiu. “Classrooms went from about 20 students to well
over 40. Our generation was called the children of the decree.”

And Mungiu, who was born in ’68, says this led to a certain solidarity
between members of this generation. “There was a woman I met who had this
haunting story about her friend’s abortion, something that happened to her
15 years ago. I decided that I had to make a film inspired by this story, a
tribute to this generation.”

Mungiu’s film, and its win of the coveted Palme d’Or at Cannes, is part of
what has been dubbed the Romanian New Wave, a brash new spate of films from
the struggling former Eastern bloc nation. Mungiu acknowledges that he and
his fellow Romanian filmmakers owe a certain debt to the neo-realists, but
argues that they were reacting against something more than anything else.
“Romanian films of the ’80s were quite metaphysical and unbelievable. They
were cheesy in many cases. People from elsewhere would see them and think
that that’s what Romania and Romanians were like. But we weren’t seeing
anything that resembled us. No one talks like they did in those movies. I
always felt that I could make a story way better than these people could.”

Also true to life—and hearkening back to the neo-realists—is 4 Months’
decidedly ambiguous ending. Without giving anything away, Mungiu manages to
leave questions about the fate of our two protagonists, something that’s
refreshingly complex and open-ended. “I liked the idea of leaving a lot of
the questions that are raised in the film not being answered. I don’t like
filmmaking that has all the answers. It’s the film that stops, not the
story. Even fictional characters have more to them than what you see. When
you go to sleep tonight, you won’t have all the answers to the questions
that have been raised today.”

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days opens this Friday, Oct. 26

 <http://www.montrealmirror.com/2007/102507/staff.html#copy> ©
Communications Gratte-Ciel Ltée 2007