I tend to mentally model everything in terms of relational theory, so the
whole vcard thing doesn't resonate with me.

 Address books should probably be a first class object in the database
that can be linked to by various other objects (such as users for their
private address books, or rooms for their distribution lists, or SMTP
aliases for THEIR distribution lists. The only thing that leaves me fuzzy
on is how uyo[2~ you store the association betwen an alias and a room. (In
the context of the SMTP address of the room, I mean.)'