LDAP users do not have a mechanism to pick users from a list for things like
Access Controls. I manually remove the email address portions from a GAB
entry or other such contact list to be able to add users by point and click.
I have users with LONG names which are easy to get wrong if manually typing
out.

If there was an exposed user account list (in a way which a click to add list
could work) apart from the GAB (or if it involved the GAB, a smart detection
which would auto strip the unneeded portions from the selection) and along
with that, the option to hide users from display on that list and the GAB.