>  checking ldap.h usability... no
> checking ldap.h presence... no
> checking for ldap.h... no
> configure: error: OpenLDAP development headers were not found and are
> required. More info:
> http://www.citadel.org/doku.php/installation:start
>
> Note that the pages I looked at, not even the page noting the Debian &
> Ubuntu package requirements that the easyinstall page pointed to, do
> not note any OpenLDAP related package(s) that I could fine...

Sorry about that ... OpenLDAP is now a dependency and the documentation on
that may be lagging a bit behind.  On a debian system please do "apt
install libldap2-dev" and then run the installation again, and you should be
fine.

We've removed a number of dependencies, and I'd like to eventually make most
of the remaining ones mandatory.  The objective here is to reduce the amount
of variation in the builds.