This may seem like a small change, but it's going to be used in a lot of
different places (and it was a pain in the neck to do this because it didn't
fit well into the normal serv_upgrade.c module).

 This will eliminate the places where a user name that has spaces or punctuation
in it is no longer ambiguous.  Now I don't have to worry about whether the
software wants "ignatius_t_foo...@example.com" and whether the underscores
are actually in the username or if they're converted from spaces or whatever.

 Furthermore, these are now all the same:  "IGnatius T Foobar" "ignatius t
foobar" "ignatius.t.foobar" "ignatiustfoobar" "ig.natius-t_foo.BAR"

 Yes, there's a reason I'm doing this!  It will make the user's identity token
UNAMBIGUOUS in protocols like XMPP, where we have in the past had to deal
with identities that cannot have spaces, but then we have to replace the spaces
and
we don't know for sure that they're actually spaces.  So a user whose screen
name is "The AWESOME D00D!!!1" will be indexed as "theawesomed00d1" in XMPP.

 No, I don't actually care much about XMPP these days, but this is going to
make ActivityPub work a whole lot better when I implement that.