Jumping in here with a quick reply as a *lurker*, not a developer:

Don't think anyone would mind if you supplied patches :). You have to
understand, with people still working on kernel things, making applications
actually work, stop crashing, hardware support...

Most that would interface with screenreaders would *probably* be handled by
WINE anyway. Is there something specific you have a problem with not
working? If so, do file a bug report! But first check that the same fault
doesn't pop up with wine under linux.