On Nov 15, 2006, at 19:42, Jonathan wrote:

>       SET and ENUM in mysql are super dangerous.
>       They promote really bad design patterns and lock people into MySQL
> specific schema that is a "Complete Fucking Nightmare" to port to
> another DB system.  If people did a standard normalized schema, no
> issues would occur when porting to a better DB.

Sometimes you can make a better bikeshed when you use all the tools
available.  Sometime a SET column is one of those helpful tools.

>       That said, supporting MySQL is a good thing to do.  BUT since rose
> tends to focus people on doing stuff more intelligently, I would
> suggest that the "SET" support require people to set a global
> Rose::DB variable ( $Rose::DB::enable_mysql_set = 1; ) in order for
> it to work right -- and the documentation on that would post a notice
> to people that using a SET/ENUM value will lock you into a Mysql
> specific database, [....]

Are you proposing to take out the Informix SET support too?

Have you ever actually ported an application from one database system
to another?   Your comments makes it sound like you just drank the
kool-aid...

  - ask

--
http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/