On Jun 4, 2007, at 12:35 PM, John Siracusa wrote:

> Yes, and it works the same way as for columns.  Like columns,
> relationships and foreign keys have N named method types created on
> their behalf.  Examples of method type names are get, get_set,
> get_set_on_save, find, count, etc.  There are default method type
> lists, but users can alter the list by adding and removing types on a
> per-relationship basis.
>
> You can ask any metadata object that makes methods for the name of the
> method of a given type by calling the method_name() method.  For
> example, the column->accessor_method_name implementation is really
> just:
>
>     return $column->method_name('get') || $column->method_name
> ('get_set')
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Rose-DB-Object/lib/Rose/DB/Object/
> Metadata/Column.pm#accessor_method_name
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Rose-DB-Object/lib/Rose/DB/Object/
> Metadata/Column.pm#method_name
>
> So, to get a "getter" for a relationship, call:
>
>     $rel->method_name('...') || $rel->method_name('...') || ...
>
> where the "..." parts are the method type names in your order of
> preference.
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Rose-DB-Object/lib/Rose/DB/Object/
> Metadata/Relationship.pm#method_name
>
> See the relationship docs for the list of supported method types.

Ok. thats basically what I thought.

First off, sorry.  I copy/pasted the wrong info.  i emant to reference:
        accessor_method_name
        mutator_method_name

i hadn't had coffee yet, and copied the items that referenced them,
not them.

onwards,

this might be where my confusion is -- mutator_method_name states
"Returns the name of the method used to set the column value. "

many items reference "column" -- but it seems like they work for
fkeys/relationships to.  maybe all i needed was a doc change?

when I wrote the first email, i kind of wanted to patch rose, so
relationships act a bit more like columns...
        do some of the meta pre-caching , re: col names into an array - but
only for a) relationships b) fkeys in separate functions

but maybe thats not necessary