Here are my thoughts for revisions:

* I'm not sure ping()ing belongs here at all, at least as an auto-called
method.  But if we do add it, we should use DBI's ping() method rather than
trying to roll our own.  (As an example, "select 1" doesn't work in every
database, and sometimes even when it does it's not the best choice.)

* Fewer methods relating to caching.  Initially, it should just be a ping()
object method (maybe) and new_or_cached() and clear_db_cache() class
methods.

* The cache key should be type and domain and that's it.

* Modifying a registry entry should invalidate the cached instance of the db
for that type/domain.

What I'm trying to do here is start small.  If we eventually want to get
into TTL and stuff like that, I'm inclined to go to a mix-in class that
delegates all caching to a "real" caching module like Cache::Cache.  But for
a first try at this, I'd like to avoid painting ourselves into a corner.

So, keep it simple :)  I can do the revisions if you want, or you can have a
shot at it.  Let me know.

-John